FACT make swing changes quickly that last over time. When we practice technique hitting a ball at full speed, we produce swings that are "comfortable".
- Change Movement Patterns With Slow Swings (no ball)
- Exaggerate Areas That Are Deficient
- This Changes Your Feel To Make Proper Swing Positions Feel Natural
FACT golfers need to spend majority of their outside practice time simulating golf course or the process that creates good shots.
- When outdoors, Practice "Feel", Different Shots And Distance Control
- Create Games That Are Competitive And Simulate Pressure
- Practice Tempo, Timing And Pre Shot Routines, Gather Feedback From Shot
STRATEGIC PRACTICE STRUCTURE FOR GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE
OBJECTIVE FOR PRACTICE establish clear objective before each practice of what you want to accomplish and how you are going to accomplish it. Includes...
- SPECIFIC, STRATEGIC DRILLS
First, you want to be specific with the aspect of the game you are working on. For example, "improve putting" is not good enough. Ask yourself, what part of putting do you want to improve? Speed, starting line, alignment?
For this example I will choose starting line. Now I will list out the drills that will help me improve my starting line.
- Chalk line drill, 5 feet - make 10 in a row
- Eyeline mirror with gate for ball on starting line - place at 10 feet, make 5 balls in a row go through the gate, reach the back of the hole but no further than 18inches by
You can see these drills are specific to starting line and also have a goal in mind that will place some pressure on you to complete. This practice style is block, which means you want you will be hitting the same putt more than 1 time in a row working on the same thing.
- BALANCE EACH PRACTICE
TIMING, TEMPO, SEQUENCE
- GATHER PROPER FEEDBACK
POST SHOT ROUTINE
3 QUESTIONS - was I committed? What happened? Why?
THEN - remember correct feel OR fix the flaw and create positive feel
MY GAME IMPROVEMENT TOOL BOX
OBJECTIVE develop feel of how to turn correctly in the golf swing
GOAL complete entire workout routine without passing out. Make sure to do the exercises correctly when I get tired or I may create more problems in my swing and injure myself!
- WEEKLY PRACTICE SCHEDULE PDF
Download the weekly practice plan template to guarantee efficient practice weekly. Fill it out on Sunday night or do it each night before you go to sleep!
You can view the step-by-step practice on your mobile phone, tablet or computer.
MY KEY DRILLS
One of the most important aspects to improving your swing is learning how to turn properly in the back and down swing. You will hit longer, straighter shots, in addition to keeping your back healthy!
Purchase Recommended Training Aid
Saber Golf Stick (use promo code golfgpg) for $10 OFF
- Set up square to target line with body, use golf ball for 7-iron ball position
- Turn centered, marbles drop (if using saber) to other end when completing backswing turn to ensure turning on swing plane
- Make sure end of stick is pointed at golf ball
- Use core, lower body to turn down and point other end of stick at golf ball
- That completes 1 repetition, Repeat 10 times
Great exercise to increase balance in your full swing. Exercise can be completed without Bosu Ball until you gain the strength, balance and flexibility to use the ball.
It doesn't matter how good your swing positions are if you don't have tempo and timing to impact the ball correctly.
POST PRACTICE FEEDBACK
FEEDBACK AFTER TRAINING COMPLETED
What Went Well?
I completed a workout and got some putting and wedge work in!
What needs improvement?
I am really out of shape and need to stretch more before doing the workout. After a few exercises I started to feel the bone spur issue in my lower back. I did the wedge distance control on trackman after the workout. I scored fairly low because I was effected by the work out. I need to be in better shape so I can hit 15 wedge shots well after a elementary workout. When under pressure I experience exhaustion (mostly from mental fatigue), if I strengthen my body, I will strengthen my mind!
How are you going to improve on your weaknesses?
- Make sure to do more stretching before working out. 5 min static, 10 min dynamic
- Drink more water throughout the day
- Work on blast motion sensor with my wedges to dial in the swing tempo for each clock position.
I teach only what I believe in through my time as a player and professional coach. Each player is unique and needs customized coaching on their golf swing. Supplemented with my performance training, guarantee's success. The performance training program is exactly what I used to improve my consistency before playing in the 2017 PGA Championship, and I now want to share the simple strategies with all golfers that want to improve.JJ WOOD, PGA, Director of Instruction