Step 4: Prepare Your Vision Statement and Set Goals
GPG is very serious about each student-athlete’s vision of where you want to be at the end of the recruiting process. We also emphasize the need to develop measurable goals and specific action steps that will provide you with a road map to realize your vision.
The following will assist you in developing your vision for the future, as well as your goals and action steps that will form your personal road map for success.
Your College Recruiting Vision Statement
A vision statement is a vivid description of a desired outcome that inspires, energizes and helps you create a mental picture of your target – where you will be at end of the recruiting process – and what you need to do to get there.
Keep your vision simple, but inspirational – something you can carry in your wallet, in your notebooks, in your locker, or on your wall at home. For example:
I will focus on my academics, physical conditioning, mental capabilities and athletic skills to receive scholarship offers from at least 3 of my top 5 choices.
I will use all resources at my disposal to improve my academic standing so that I can be accepted into a premier Division I program.
I will improve my physical conditioning and mental toughness by consistently working beyond what is expected, while maintaining my good academic standing in order to gain acceptance to [specific school/s].
Now it’s your turn. Write your own vision statement that describes where you will be at the end of the recruiting process – a statement that will inspire you as you read it each day.
My Personal Vision Statement:
Using “SMART” goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Timed. In working with our student-athletes, we want them to develop goals that will lead them toward their vision or where they want to be at the end of the recruiting process.
The following sample worksheet will help you to set your goals in relation to your vision statement:
My Personal Goals & Action Steps
|Category||Present State||Desired State (Goals)||Action Steps|
|Academics||1. GPA needs to be improved
2. Have trouble with standardized tests
|1. Improve GPA from __ to __
2. Attain SAT score of at least ____
|1. Work with tutors
2. Join study groups
3. Attend SAT prep course
|Physical Conditioning||1. Do not have required strength to play at next level
2. Need to improve endurance
|1. Increase hours in weight room from __ to __
2. Increase mileage from __ to __ per week
|1. Get to weight room before school 3 days per week
2. Run more miles on weekends
Consider the following for each category:
- Academic Performance – Specific courses you need to improve in, overall academic standing, test scores, study skills
- Physical Performance – Physical attributes you want to improve – strength, speed, coordination, endurance
- Athletic Skills – Sport-specific skills
- Mental Preparation– Game preparation, attitude, relaxation
- Family/Other – Other areas of your life that may need improving in order for you to realize your vision
Focus on these three things to help you establish your goals for each category:
- Present State: Where are you at now and what do you want to improve?
- Desired State: Where do you want to go?
- Action Steps: What are you going to do to get there?